On the 17th of August 2023, The Ministry Of ICT in partnership with UNDP and Cente-Tech, a technology company of Centenary Group launched the Uganda Digital Transformation Roadmap. The roadmap builds on the commitments set under the Digital Uganda Vision. The roadmap was launched by Vice President Jessica Alupo. She mentioned in her speech that “Digitilisaton is not merely a chapter in our national story, but an ink with which our future will be written”.
The 5-year agenda (2023-2027) is built on 5 pillars.
- Digital infrastructure and connectivity which aims to establish Integrated Digital infrastructure that entails; having sufficient capacity to cater for the current and future demands.
- Digital services which include the delivery of information including data and content across multiple platforms and devices such as web or mobile. This pillar seeks to promote the identification, development and implementation of citizen, business, Government and employee-centric e-Services.
- Cyber-security and data protection and privacy which provides assurance that digital services are safe, secure, protected, and trusted when in use.
- Innovations and entrepreneurship, which focuses on commercialization of local innovations and establishment of local ICT businesses. Local innovations include ICT systems, products and content.
- Digital Skills which focus on building a digitally enabled society that is agile and able to adapt to emerging technologies and trends. It also looks at promotion of digital literacy and ICT professional development for the current and future industry needs.
At the registration desk, all event participants registered by scanning a QR code. A quick response (QR) code is a type of barcode that can be read easily by a digital device and which stores information as a series of pixels in a square-shaped grid. An Event QR Code is a solution that enables easy event marketing and planning. Ideal for print marketing materials, users can simply scan the QR Code, view all the event details like the time and location, and link to their preferred ticketing service to purchase tickets.
Besides the registration a printed QR code was placed on all tables. And when scanned one could access and program and other key information about the event.
There were a couple of Exhibitors among them were the Personal Data Protection Office, MTN Uganda, and Airtel Uganda. The 2 telecom giants took us on a virtual reality experience using their 5G internet speeds.
And lastly, if you want to access the Digital Transformation Roadmap. You can follow this link: https://www.gcic.go.ug/digital-transformation-roadmap-2023-2024-2027-2028/